Broken Wing? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rose257, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Rose257

Rose257 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi! I'm not sure if my chick, Rose, got her wing broken or not. She somehow got to the dog pen last night, and they had her in their mouth. She doesn't have internal injuries, as she is eating and drinking normally. We taped up her wing, and separated her from the others (only three including Rose). I am letting her out away from the other chicks, and I make sure to leave her crate near the others. Is there anything else I should be doing? How long should I leave the tape on? It doesn't seem to bother her. From what I've read, the wing will probably always be messed up, but I don't care about that as she is just a pet. Thank you!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane 8 Years

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Were there any external injuries or was the wing just being held weird? Because if there was any blood that should be cleaned and the wound should be monitored for infection.... aside from that what you're doing sounds just fine. Check the wing daily and replace the wrapping... when she no longer seems to be in pain or when you can no longer feel injury at the site, you can stop wrapping it. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks or so.

You may want to give her some electrolytes in her water and add some more protein to her diet for a few days while she recovers from the stress. A hard boiled egg or some cat food works well.

3. Rose257

Rose257 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks for your reply! No, there weren't any other injuries, she was just wet. I will re-bandage her tonight. Thank you again, she seems to be doing a lot better already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: