Broken Wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grandparooster, Oct 30, 2010.

1. grandparooster

grandparooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    Help,

I just had a 12 week old turken escape from his cage and he found the bucket of water that i get his water out of, tried to fly up and perch but instead fell in. when that happened i heard a horrible little snap and i rushed and pulle dhim out. He has a wing bone which i think is almost broken completely but has not gone through the skin. He is also very wet and in and out of conciseness and in bad shock when he comes back. I have him wrapped in a towel right now. I did this because for the tri[ up to the house it is like 38 degrees here and we are in the process of getting a new furnace so the house has no heat. What can i do for him? I really don't have the money for a vet being a teenager and my mom wont help because she hates my chickens. I am going to have to do this on my own.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. grandparooster

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    thanks for the help guys,

anyways if anyone cares,

he is on 60 mg of achetaminafin

i have a childrens anti biotic i am going to give him tommorow in a low dose, his wing is completely imoblized and sorry for my horrible typeing, i only have one hand to use right now

3. Melei

Melei New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    SE Kent, England
    I'm in the UK and probably no help whatsoever, but your post touched me. Sorry your Mum won't help you but you obviously care very much.

All I can suggest is that the wing is kept still and supported in it's normal position (maybe a search on here for a similar injury will help), and that your little turken is kept warm in a darkened safe area whilst he recovers from the shock. Make sure he has access to water and maybe some warm scrambled egg will sooth him.

I hope someone with greater knowledge than me comes along to help you shortly. You are doing great so far [​IMG]

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things (people can be pretty scarce on the weekends -- I have a bit of a situation here too that hasn't got much in the way of responses yet).

Keep him warm and quiet -- you don't want to do anything noisy or scary like a hair dryer, but rather set up a lamp or a heating pad, even holding him will help keep him from going into deep shock. Make sure the towel you have him wrapped in is dry.

I am so sorry your mom doesn't appreciate your chickens -- there are a lot of troublesome things you could be involved in, but blessedly you've taken up an interest in chickens -- very smart of you if you ask me.

Best of luck and do keep us posted -- I know it feels like forever when nobody replies, but it does sound like you have a good handle on this situation.

Jenny

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear about your turken too. If you have bach flower remedies give him rescue remedy and 5 regular aspirins per gallon of water. A chicken doesn't need it's wing to live. If you can prevent stress or infection it will probably be fine. Give it 3 drops polyvisol in boiled egg daily.

Good luck to you, I'm sorry your mom doesn't like your chickens. I don't really like reptiles. There are chicken people and other people. That doesn't make them bad people, just not chicken people. Good luck to you.

I don't think acetominephin is good for chickens. Use plain aspirin.

6. grandparooster

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    He has come back to full consciousness and he is on a very small amount of children s acetaminaphin which i gave him a while ago, I splinted his wing as well as i could, taped it on and then i tied a sock around his wing to keep it from moving. He almost punctured skin but we were able to avoid that. I did the math on body weight because i am on a antibiotic for my acne and according to the math i did today i will give him 10 milligrams of bactrim, which i just got done giving him. This is unfortunately the weekend so the large feed store about an hour away wont be open until tuesday!!!. My local feed store only has stuff for cocci so i decided to try my antibiotic. I thought it might be better than anything. I am also glad he had a full crop before he hurt himself because he will have food for atleast a little bit. He is wrapped up nicely in one of my moms towels ( she doesnt know) and he will be sleeping in my cats little bed tonight on my desk next to my bed, we doesn't want to move now and he will be wrappe dup in a 10 inch high cat bed, i am not worries about him getting out. Mom not so happy about a chicken in her house but i begged and she gave in. Anyways any more advice for what to do in the next couple of days would be really nice. Also my room is nice and warm now, i brought in a mini heater.

P.S. I will get up around 5 and put him on childrens aspirin.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Keep his wing supported close to his body and lifted into the natural position. It is best if he can't move it at all, so don't be afraid to strap it down. When you can get to the feed store buy some vet wrap. It's cheap and the best for things like this.

Be careful, cause chickens are escape artists. Especially when it comes to bandages.

Keep him warm and well fed. Offer him some of his favorite treats to incourage him to eat. Once he is over the initial stress he will be just as active as before, so keep him in a cage and not a box. A smaller cage is better to keep him from moving as much. If it is not as cold tommorrow put him outside in his regular cage where he will be comfortable and in a familiar place.

One of my roosters broke his wing at the fair. A bit of rest and some tender care and he was better.

8. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hi, I am checking in to see how he's doing -- I am glad to see you got some more advice. Do keep his nutrition up -- vitamins, cooked egg. Let us know how he's doing.

Jenny

9. grandparooster

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    right now he is wrapped up in a towel in a cat bed in my room on my night stand. He hasnt been able to escape because of the towel and mom said no to cage in the house and it is 36 here right now so he is going to have to be able to survive the towel. The towel is also nice because it acts as a diaper. We did some rehab today a sin he can finaly walk weirdly again. He is very silly because when he bumps his wing and it hurts, he does it again worse then i have to cuddle with him to get him to calm down. There is no more shock and he is still on antibiotic and very low dose of childrens aspirin dilute dinto his water. He got a scrambled egg for supper tonight and tommorow he goes to school with me and he can stay in the ffa buildings and i will take care of him during my two ffa classes. He is kind of like a king because he looks like royalty being carried around in a cat bed. [​IMG]

Will update again tomorrow. My computer almost died earlier [​IMG]

10. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    Sounds like you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. At least you care enough to attempt something which is more than some folks do. But keeping the wing wrapped up & immoble might be the best thing to do. That way it will give it a chance to heal. I dont know about the pain issues or what or how much to give, but it sound like you are trying to keep him comfortable. I know they can handle the pain better than you might think. But you might consider increasing his protein intake. Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Jan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by