Broken Wing on Peahen

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bdfive, Nov 29, 2010.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Help! My pied peahen's wing is broken where it attaches to her body. I've cut the feathers to take some of the weight off it. Feels really loose .... like broke bad. Can anything be done? Does she need to be put down? My heart is broken.

Thanks for any suggestions or help from those that may have experienced this situation or knows anything.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Well, she'll be in pain so I'd give her some sort of anti inflammatory to start with. You could use vet wrap and wrap the wing next to her body so that it's not moving around. Check it every day to make sure that it hasn't slipped and that you don't have it too tight. It will heal, but it won't be "normal" again. I doubt she'll ever get air born again. Here's a link with some pictures for you to follow: http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/PigeonResourceWeb/brokenwing.html

3. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I took her to a vet. He taped the wing to the body and said leave it for 2 months. She is on our closed in back porch with cardboard on the floor where she spends most of her time. I put a cedar log in there for her to roost on. She's eating and drinking...seems fine. I just hope the wing heals properly. Thanks much for your response.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Poor baby. I'm sure that she will be just fine. Keep us posted.

5. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I'll let you know how she does after the sling is removed. Different subjest but yesterday I bought a Java peahen. Now I have a pair. I'm so excited.
    darlene

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I hope your peahen gets better, and I would love to see pictures of your javas![​IMG]

7. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I keep saying I need to figure out how to get pictures fromt he digital camera on the computer but haven't yet. Maybe I'll find the time soon then will have to figure out how to post them. We're retired so all this new stuff is difficult for us. Our grandchildren aren't close by....they could do it in a few minutes, LOL!!!

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Hey i never touched a computer in my life till a few years ago and i set my own up and have been learning stuff on my own every sence, and i am just an old country girl , so if i can learn it anyone can

9. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Today is a month my peahen's wing has been taped to her body healing. I can't believe I need to leave her another month.

10. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

That is good she is doing a lot better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by