1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rocasocks, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rocasocks

rocasocks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Nelson, Vic - Australia
    One of my hens has a broken wing. What should I do.

I'ts definitely broken.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Where is the break? Depending where it is you can try to set it in the proper position and then fold the wing in a natural position by the body, and wrap the wing with vet wrap. Keep it that way for a few weeks till it heals.

3. rocasocks

Sep 28, 2011
    Nelson, Vic - Australia
    I'm not sure if I can.

It's the first bone in her wing. Near the elbow joint.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You can try a figure 8 bandage around the wing with the final wrap around the body to give it support. leave on for 2-3 weeks. If the chicken freaks out from the bandages you'll have to allow the bone to heal on its own. If the chicken has an open fracture you can either spend the money to have the bone pinned, or amputate the wing.

I hope she does well for you.

5. rocasocks

Sep 28, 2011
    Nelson, Vic - Australia
    I've bandaged her wing to her side. Just hope it heals properly.

6. Nickle.egg91

Nickle.egg91 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    im new to this site and dont know how to make a thread lol, but this afternoon, my chickens wing was drooped, but only one which is wierd, i think its broken, but it doesnt touch the floor, just ahngs a bit lower than other one, she doesnt seem to be in any pain, and shes eating and walking around so plz help! and also its getting really cold now, i dont want her to get sick, plz help :)

7. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Same issue as nickle egg with one of my Peacock wings, Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by