Broken Wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMGerlinger, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MMGerlinger

MMGerlinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    One of my chickens (about 7 months old) seems to have injured her wing. She's holding it low, and not flapping it. Even let me pick her up, but did peck at me, because I think her wing hurts. I'm afraid we'll have to euthanize her. I do not want to find her pecked to death (As happened with a previous chicken who was sick)....... My hubby is going to decide in the morning after trying to fix her if he'll have to kill her or not... (because I'm too emotional about the whole thing).
    Any idea? Should I wait it out? I am just more concerned about her being pecked to death by the others because our dominant rooster already showed signs when I was out there earlier, before I realized she had an injured wing......

Just looking for an idea. No open sore that I can find, she's just favoring that wing, and didn't go up with the rest to roost tonight... I Did put her up with the rest though and she got comfy.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. MMGerlinger

MMGerlinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    We don't have any way to keep it separated, and yet safe from predators.... :-( That's in the future, maybe sooner than later though, but not in the next few weeks.

The wing is not hanging all the way to the ground, but it is a bit limp, meaning.... just not held up like how the other one is held.... but she let me pull it out (after pecking at me a couple times), and I couldn't feel any damage, compared to the other one.

My hubby thought maybe just dislocated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by