Broken yolk in egg under a broodie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jferlisi, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i have a broodie silkie and i stuck 3 eggs under her, 2 of them have development but the third egg looks like there is a huge broken yolk in it. Its only been 5 days, so i dont know what it is. Can anyone help me out on it? I left it under her cause im not sure about it.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Well, you did the right thing [​IMG] , when in doubt, leve it in. But usualy when it looks like a broken yolk it's no good [​IMG] . If it doesent look good like the rest, then it's probably a dud, so u should through it out. And another thing I've learned, a hen never hatches every egg, there is always, Always at least one dud( there just has to be, no way around it) [​IMG]. Good luck with the other two! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Thanks, i know about the hatch rate and everything so i wasn't worried about that but i was concerned about this. How would a yolk break inside an egg with out the shell being damaged.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

You know thats a real good question, I don't really know. It probably has something to do with it being a raw egg and with all the humidity and high temp, that I guess it goes rotten inside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by