1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bronze turkey about 4 months is showing virus symptoms after being attacked by older turkey! please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahc511, Oct 4, 2015.

1. sarahc511

sarahc511 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    my young bronze turkey about 4 months I would guess (I was given her as a gift) was let out into the main pen with my adult red bourbon turkey and she attacked her, her head is all swollen and there are bubbles coming from her eye, I think its from being stamped and not an infection, any ideas?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My turkeys fight occasionally, they always heal after a few days of looking miserable. Keep her separate and give her time.

3. sarahc511

Mar 23, 2012
    she has got worse, she is coughing and gurgling, but is still eating and drinking, she is having a tonic at the moment, but I feel so awful as she is so sweet but I feel like she is suffering too much, I will phone my vet tomorrow, all viruses seem to have these symptoms however is it just a coincidence that she has developed this after her first day out, surly it would take time to take hold hence why I thought my older turkey attacked her, she is also nervous of other hens so I have her on her own with a small bantam for company as she gets lonely, just don't know what to do, have you ever used amoxicillin for hens?

4. sarahc511

Mar 23, 2012
    and she also has white spots on her tounge :( poor wee thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by