Bronze turkey poult died tonight

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 387026, Jun 25, 2010.

1. 387026

387026 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Fine all day and than all at once it started having seizures, head flopping backwards and all around. I held it and it died quickly in my hands. Any ideas? I do have 13 other poults and don't want to loose any more.
    Thanks.

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Wow sorry I don't know.What kind of feed are you on?I never use medicated feed's anymore.But she was born that way so wasn't feed.But some feed's can cause problem's.I raised some turkey's and for the most part No problem's except was was born with lame crippled leg's.Sadly after a month and a half We knew it would never walk and put it down [​IMG]. I therapied that turkey several times a day trying to get her on her leg's.I have raised Royal's and Narrgansett's.Hope you don't lose anymore.Maybe someone else can help.

3. 387026

Mar 28, 2010
    No medicated feed, about a month old. Been raising them a few years and first to have this happen.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Mine are on medicated..... never had problems. Is it hot where you are? Could it have gotten over heated? Any moldy feed anywhere?

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Apart from having seizures, it almost sounds like botulism...

6. 387026

Mar 28, 2010
    I doubt botulism. One month old poult fine all day than seizures and dies in 5 mins. No other symptoms. Other poults fine so far. Everything here is clean. Till 2 months they are kept in crages in my basement that are cleaned daily, water is fresh 3 times a day. Put outside during day in small pen with wire with small openings with solid wood on top and side boards to keep the sun out, on grass. Checked every 2 hours to make sure water is clean and monitored for over heating.
    This poult hatched from some eggs I bought from a large hatchery. I have been told some one else bought some poults from a large hatchery and they did the same thing at 1 to 2 months. They did not know the cause either but was told by the hatchery it was a bad year for poults. ??
    I am not impressed with the large hatcheries.
    Feed kept in basement with stable temps and dehumidfier running 24 hours to keep feed mold free.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  7. 387026

Mar 28, 2010
    Now some one has mentioned impacted crop. Could have been, it was outside and I had just started puting it on grass this week.

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I had some die from what I believe was botulism. When they arrived in the mail from the hatchery, there was one dead in the box that actually smelled really bad. Over the next few weeks, I lost about half of them. A few months later, they were still dying off. Out of 15, I ended up with 2 (last time I ordered turkeys from that hatchery!) I thought about sending one off to the lab but they wanted $75 minimum to check it out and it would have had to have been a 'fresh dead carcass'. I already lost most of them at that point and didn't want to spend that much and lose one of the last few that I had. But if yours had outside access, it could have even eaten a fly that was on a dead carcass, or the feed could have been contaminated when you bought it, or...

I don't know if an impacted crop would kill it that fast... did they have access to grit before you let them out? And I am assuming that the grass wasn't treated with anything like weed and feed? I hope the others are ok!

9. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Some times it's just a defect in the heart, or other internal organ. Since it been a day or two since you have posted and you have not mentioned any other problems. It's most likely the turkey died of what could be considered natural causes. It happens, I know it's frustrating not knowing for sure. Given any number of poults hatched x number will have genetic defects, some will prevent them from growing to adult hood.

Tom

10. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Quote:What hatchery are you using? I buy from Ideal poultry and have always had good success. I think some of the smaller operations are a little more careful and seem to care more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by