Bronze Turkeys - male or female?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by laurarose, Feb 21, 2015.

1. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

We got these three turkeys before Christmas as females, they are 6 months old today. I'm pretty sure they are females but would just like some confirmation on it!

As you can see they display very often and are very vocal, i thought this might be normal since they don't have a stag.

2. laurarose

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Those look like jakes to me. My hens usually don't strut unless they are really excited or I've introduced some new birds.

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The images are a little small for me to really say for sure. None of the 3 are displaying a snood of the size I would expect from a jake or tom. The 2 on the right have much larger caruncles than I would expect to see on a hen.

My guess is that the one on the left is a hen and that the other 2 are either late developing toms or they are also hens.

You say they are very vocal but don't say whether or not they gobble. I personally have never known of a hen that gobbles.

5. laurarose

[​IMG]

I will try to get some better close up pictures, they never stand still for very long.

When we first got them they only made quiet popping noises and high pitched kinda noises but now when they are startled and if we try to move them they make noises that I would call gobbling

The carnuncles are large on two but I agree that the snoods are not as big as I thought they would be in a male - this is why I thought they were female since I had seen pictures of male turkeys the same age which look at lot more developed than ours.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. bmmkh

bmmkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    We have been raising turkeys for 20 years, hens will sometimes strut but they will not gobble. The 2 turkeys on the right definitely look like gobblers. The turkey on the left could possibly be a hen or the least dominant gobbler of the three.

7. laurarose

[​IMG]

8. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Males have longer snoods and the an old kind of sits on the beak, this happens around 3-5 months old I'm not exactly sure. Females have snoods that kinda sit straight up like this | while makes kinda do this \ or this _ against the beak

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Note the snoods

Or the an old will be extremely tiny

10. laurarose

Thank you everyone for the help!

Fingers crossed they are girls - was looking forward to some eggs in a couple months [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by