Bronze Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ilovemychickies, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all! We were just at the feedstore looking at chicks, and saw a couple of bronze turkey chicks. They were very sweet, and I was wondering, do they stay sweet? Any info would be great! Thanks so much.

Ashleigh

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    You didn't bring them home?? lol
    I ordered some but they for meat not pets. They get very very big....
    I wouldn't make pets out of something that huge....can get over 50 lbs! and problems as they get older.
    Meat wise I hear they are much better than reg turkeys, more moist and better flavor.

3. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

No, we didn't bring them home. But I wanted to SO bad!!! Thanks so much for responding. I don't think that we're going to be getting any. DRAT! We weren't going to use them for meat, just eggs and love. Do you know of any turkeys that are good layers? Thanks again.

Ashleigh

4. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Miss Prissy answered two? posts I have current on here about turkeys....turkey coop I think is one

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Turkeys require considerably more space than the chooks so preparation is important. If you want to collect turkey hen eggs (and most heritage breeds will lay regularly during season if not allowed to go broody) you will have to provide them with comfortable nesting in an enclosed area - otherwise the girls will wander hither and yon and set up shop out in the woods somewhere! You will need to collect the eggs daily. If they go broody you can expect a hissing, biting, wing flogging knock down drag out to get the eggs. We have Slates and Royals and love 'em, but they ain't chooks!

Please Read:

http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html

6. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Quote:only broad breasted get over 50 pounds, standard or sometimes called unimproved bronze only gets around 35 pounds for a tom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by