bronze x blackshoulder peafowl genetics

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by pedda munnangi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Hi, I have 3 yr old spalding bronze male which I intend to pair up with a Blackshoulder hen. I know that the F1 off spings phenotype is Indiablue split to spalding bronze as well as Black shoulder. If we mate the "brother and sister" offsprings the F2 offsprings would be 25;50;25 Spalding bronze ; IB split bronz as well as blackshoulder ; Blackshoulder. Now , my question is, at what point and how do we get "Black shoulder bronze" colors integrated into one peafowl ( Two copies of Spalding bronze gene and two copies of Black shoulder gene in a single bird ?) Thanks deerman and other expert geneticists.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    ok first bronze is a color , blackshoulder is a pattern. so both can be on one bird, matter of fact you can have more than one pattern as well.

Bronze spalding X blackshoulder = all spalding split bronze ,and split BS

spalding split bs / bronze X spalding split bs/bronze = spalding split bs/bronze, spalding bronze, spalding BS, and yes some spalding bronze blackshoulders

your chick will from the first cross will carry 1 bs gene 1 bronze gene , now when mated together their chick get 1 gene of each....so if a chick get a bronze gene from the father and another bronze gene from mom..the chick will look bronze, they will also get a gene for a pattern either barred wing or bs gene, and if they get a bs gene from both they will look bs..

now if they get a bs gene and a barred wing gene....they will be barred wing split bs

3. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    As deerman said, F2 generation has the potential to produce blackshoulder bronze. I think the odds are something like 1 in 16. Ive already got my F1 generation hatched last year, and looking forward to breeding them in 2013. I've kept one cock and two hens to increase the odds a bit with more eggs.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes i l;eft the % out ...because that over very large number. 50% will be the same as parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by