1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooch hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LCARTER87, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a astrlope hen who has been sitting in the same nesting box since Sunday she is puffed up and bites whenever I try to pet her! Is it possible she is our first broody hen? We have never had one before, do they get out of the box to eat? Hownlong are they normally broody for? We would love to get some fertilized eggs under her

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have a BO that just went broody, acting just like yours. I got 8 fertile eggs put them under her ( I don't have a roo). Did this yesterday, she hasn't moved a feather since yesterday, not even to eat or drink.

3. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    She is still in her nesting box! We tried moving her but nope just right back to the box, I havent seen her get out at all but that doesn't say much since we cant watch her all of the time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by