Brood eggs accidentally got collected and put in the refrigerator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MariLouJane, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MariLouJane

MariLouJane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    I had several dozen eggs that my hen was sitting on and the eggs accidentally got collected by a family member and put in the refrigerator. are these eggs still able to hatch or should I get rid of them?
    This was the first time that I was letting my hen sit on eggs. I don't have much experience with hatching chicks.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    thanks!
    in oregon

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How long were they in the refrigerator? To begin with several dozen is far too many eggs for a single hen to incubate.

3. MariLouJane

Feb 20, 2012
    they were in the fridge a couple of days.
    There were two hens laying in the same nest.
    How many is a good amount for one hen?
    thanks for responding!!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my opinion, two days is too long. I would recommend discarding the eggs. Two hens could quite likely cover two dozen eggs depending upon the size of the hens. I have always had better success when my hens set separately. Sometimes hens on a communal nest get quarreling over the eggs and problems can occur - other times all can go well. Sorry about this loss. Bet they don't make the same mistake again. Here's an idea - next time mark the eggs so that your 'helpers' will have an indication that something is going on with them.

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. MariLouJane

Feb 20, 2012
    Dear Broody Magician
    Thanks for your input and opinion on my situation. I am going to go ahead and dispose of the eggs. I don't want to spend effort to end up with chicks that are less that optimal. Thanks for your help. My chickens thank you also!!
    so I am going to buy an incubator. I don't need anything really big but would like to supply some of my family,friends and neighbors who want to have egg layers with some starts and maybe sell a few to pay for feed. Can you suggest any? make our own? get one with an automatic turner or manually turn eggs??
    thanks again.
    mariloujane in oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by