Brood Hen, + 7 one week olds+ my 11 five week olds, = Trouble

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catfish, May 11, 2008.

1. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Ok, we got a Hen and 7 new chicks, they're all in the run and coop. The brood hen does not allow the teenagers into the coop now. She is down right mean to them, they was in there for 12 hours last night, and everyone came out unscathed this am.

This is unacceptable though, the teens can't get to the warmth of the light during the day or if theres trouble.

How to remedy this, I guess is I'll have to build a new house or figure something else for the brood hen and chicks.

Anyone else know of a different solution to this problem short of building a new coop? I do have an idea, we have an old hot tub that we used for a dog house for awhile with a "door" cut into it, I thought about using it as a temp house for the brooding hen till the chicks are older.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    If you don't separate them she could end up killing the teens. Is there any way you can partition off a section of the coop just for her and her babies? You generally don't want to introduce different age groups until they're all grown to the same size.

3. catfish

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    I wondered about that and even ask on here about it, Guess I'll be figuring out a separate coop for her and the younger chicks.

I really didn't want to use the Hot Tub Idea but guess I will. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Life goes on.

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, unfortunately there's nothing more vicious than a broody hen!

5. catfish

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Well I guess the Broody and the teens sorted it out.
    We went out tonight for Mom's Day and I left the chicks out, we got home about an hour after sunset and I go to check on the chicks and theres none to be found outside. I think ought oh this might not be good. I fetch the flash light and look around the run and they're not there. Ok time to open the top of the chicken house and theres my brood hen with her babies sleeping under her at the far end and all the teenagers run towards her and she starts pecking at them.

So they all put themselves to bed tonight and they're decided that sharing the house is better than sleeping out in the cold. [​IMG]

I did have to add a second feeder and waterer to the house to allow the teens to eat and drink cause the broody wouldn't share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by