Brood with what I can find

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pudellvr, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pudellvr

pudellvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    I purchased 6 RIR this morning from TSC. I have never owned chickens before. My friend and are are splitting these 6 and I am getting 3 more from another chicken rancher.

I am using my dog's crate. She doesn't use it unless we are going out of town. { She is not impressed} Scored a box that fit almost perfectly inside. Bought food and water containers and a reptile thermometer.

[​IMG]

They seem to like it.

Tricia

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Just about anything can be used as a brooder. Good job in finding something you could convert to a different use.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Fabulous, but just make sure that light is close enough....Chicks like it to be nearly 100 for the first week, like at least 98 degrees or so.....

If the're all in a clump, huddled together, then they're too cold. Sometimes being too cold gives them pasty butt. (That's when poo sticks to their rear, clogging the vent, and they can die from that, so if you see any chicks with poopy bottoms, you have to get that off.)

It looks like you've done a great job, I would just be careful about the temperature. Oh, if they're too hot, they will pant.

Thanks for sharing your brooder pic! Very resourceful!

Sharon

4. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    That looks just like my set up, except I hung my lamp inside.Now I have moved it up because they are three weeks old and it could be 10 deg. cooler. { Did you come take a picture of my brooder? :)}

5. pudellvr

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    I hung it inside but the temp shot up to 110! [​IMG] Putting it on top gives me 90 and they still like the edge of the light and not the middle.

BTW, my kids had a horrible time getting their classes done today. They would work on one class and then go pet a chick until I shooed them back to their schoolwork. Ain't it awful to homeschool? [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, little chicks would surely be distracting......I'm 47 and they distract me! haha Well, you have the temp all under control! I might have to steal your idea. I've got chicks in my big brooder, which is a 110 gallon stock tank, and now I'm getting a chick delivery in about a week of 12 more chicks.....So I might need two brooders going. I have all the things you've used for your brooder. I'm so glad you shared your idea! Thank you.

I'll tell you, after reading what happened with that shooting in Ohio at Chardon High School, I often know why parents home school. Of course, it's too late for my kids, because my youngest is a senior and 18 years old, I think today you really need to protect your kids more. I cried a little bit on the way to work today hearing about it on the radio....When I think if that happened to my sons........

Bless you for your homeschooling! Take care and enjoy those chicks!
    Sharon

7. pudellvr

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    Changed the light to flat on top of the crate and the temp is about 98. Thanks for the advice.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
    Here is a nice chick care page with temperature and space recommendations for new chicks in case you need it.

I keep my brooders 90-95 degrees for the first week and decrease by 5 degrees per week. You can use lower wattage bulbs as you wean, to get the temperature right where you want it (unless you are using the red lights- then you must raise and lower the light).

If they start panting treat that as an emergency- it means they might die from being overheated soon. They need to be able to get away from the heat.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I agree with ChickensAreSweet. From everything I've read, they'd prefer it between 90-95, not hotter. You really should use your chicks as the main thermometer and let them tell you if they are too hot or too cold. If they are not going near the underneath of the lamp, then it's too hot. If they are huddled under it, then it's too cold. They should be happily cheerping around the whole brooder, unless of course they are napping.

Good job on the brooder, BTW. I have a kennel just like that and will be using it for when they outgrow the smaller rat cage that I currently have set up.

10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Looks good. I see one hing you should address. You will quickly find that chicks seem to fall asleep in just about any position. They sometime fall asleep while getting a drink of water. They can drown if this happens. Many people put marbles or small rocks in the base of their waterer for the first week to prevent drowning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by