Brooder #2

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    This is our newly converted Goodwill special ($9.95) dog crate brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And our little ones having fun!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem so far with this brooder is the MESS! They are getting litter all over the floor. Good thing it is hardwood in the living room where they are now living. [​IMG]

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I did a similar thing with my dog's old XL dog crate....... huge mess all over my floors!! No matter what I did, the bedding just went everywhere. After over 5 weeks of 5-6 times a day sweeping the litter, I gave up and had hubby make a plywood brooder. My bantams will be going into the dog crate in a week, and it'll start all over again! [​IMG] I like your idea with the play mats around the sides!! Your babies are too cute!

3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I have been trying to think of some sort of invention to put around the sides of the box that helps keep in the shavings, but my mind is blank. [​IMG] It took me 2 to 3 hours today just to get the chicken wire onto the crate. [​IMG]

The playmats are there to keep the dogs out! And it does work. I have 2 extras and one of them goes over one end at night to keep it a little warmer.

I am hoping to get pics tomorrow of each one of them, still trying to figure out the sex and breed. [​IMG]

4. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    I saw someone who had a large plastic storage container (like the one's you would store fake Christmas trees in). She cut a hole in the lid of the container and stapled the 1/4" wire over the hole. She hung the light from the wire. No mess!

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:These little ones were in a 50 Gallon plastic tote but they have grown out of it, big time. [​IMG] This cage is bigger, just wish it had higher sides. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by