Brooder advice wanted!

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
I'm raising (and selling) chicks this spring. My plan is to use a large wooden garden bed (4 feet x 2 feet). It'll have a wire lid, which the heat lamp will shine through. It's a solid wood box, and will have a wood floor. I'll use straw for bedding.
My questions are:
A. Any obvious flaws with the plan?
and B. How many LF chicks can that hold?

I'm raising (and selling) chicks this spring. My plan is to use a large wooden garden bed (4 feet x 2 feet). It'll have a wire lid, which the heat lamp will shine through. It's a solid wood box, and will have a wood floor. I'll use straw for bedding.
My questions are:
How long will they need to be in there? That will determine how many you can fit.

My questions are:
Seems like a good plan, but how long are you planning on keeping the chicks in there?

I think its 1sq ft up to 4 weeks, so 16 up to that point.
OP's brooder is 8 sq ft. At 1 sq ft per chick it'd be 8 chicks at 4 weeks.

My brooder is between 8-9 sq ft and I've been doing 4 chicks at a time. By 2 weeks they're bouncing off the walls and I can't wait to let them out, so I do like being more generous with space.

Back
Top Bottom