Brooder alternatives

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jul 12, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Have any of you ever tried using anything other than a brooder lamp for day olds? I found a post on it but it wasn't very helpful because the person ended up using a brooder lamp anyways. [​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I use the Brinsea EcoGlow I found it really good and it uses less electricity than a lamp only downside is it can get a bit messy as the babies learn to climb on the top [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have all my babies inside the house to help with keeping them warm- but just use small clip on reading lamps with halogen globes to keep them warm. They are very cheap- and replacement globes are about $3 here in Australia. A globe will last me about 3 months usually. If I find that one is not enough- I can clip on a second one. I also have a hot water bottle in the brooder for the first two days as well just for some extra warmth.

4. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Ok!!! How often did you change out the water bottle? I'm only getting 3 ducks, so that seems perfect. Thx!!!

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:First of all what is a brooder lamp? I use regular light bulbs with a reflecter shade. I have used 'heat lamps' and red heat lamps. Basically the bulb wattage determine the amount of heat they throw no matter what they are called. Regular bulbs are cheaper than heat lamps. I usually use 2 60w or 75w because they seem to burn out at night but they don't burn out at the same time.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:It depends on if I am at home or at work - but they can stay warm enough for ducklings in the right conditions for around 6 - 7 hours. Sometimes I boil the kettle top fill it - and others I just use the hot water form the tap so it isnt as hot to start with- so it will vary greatly as to how often it needs to be changed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by