Brooder Bedding: Menard's White Play Sand?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Scifisarah, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I am going to be raising chicks indoors during late fall/early winter here in Michigan and while looking for a cleaner, less dusty idea than shavings came across the threads about using sand. Do you all think that this sand would be suitable for bedding: http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...ment-mix/white-play-sand/p-1408376-c-5648.htm? I already ordered a reptile sand scoop - http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repto...&qid=1348864825&sr=8-3&keywords=reptile+scoop - and am now trying to find the best sand to use and I thought the white would look nice as long as you all don't think it has anything harmful in it compared to "regular" light tan play sand. I would of course keep it covered with paper towels the first week or two so they aren't eating it, just like with the pine shavings.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Well I bought two bags, so hopefully it will be okay!

3. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    ***UPDATE***

I had to discontinue using the white sand fairly quickly. It was AWESOME to keep clean with the screen scoop, but I noticed that the chicks were starting to "wheeze" from the dust in it and breath with their mouths open and throats puffing out. As soon as I noticed this I switched them over to pine shavings and they are about a month old now and doing fine. I would like to try sand again, but will keep clear of the very white looking sand as it must be either too fine, or have something in the composition that is harmful to their breathing. Doing some research now to see who sells sand in Michigan, in the winter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by