Brooder bedding??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuts4hotwheels, May 30, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I know that this has been asked before, but... This is day number for my babies. What should I have on the bottom of the brooder for bedding. Right now, I have paper towels. Some posts that I have read say "Use paper towels", "use paper towels on top of pine shavings" and other say "straight pine shavings from day one".

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I do straight pine shavings from the beginning.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Mine love alfalfa. It's comfortable and they eat it too.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Kiln-dried pine shavings all the way from day one.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I use pine bedding pellets. They are a lot less messy than pine shavings and much less smelly. I put paper towels over them for about the first week.

6. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I have been using shavings. I tried old towels for a few days. It was wayyyyy to much work and really gross.

7. redfox

redfox New Egg

May 31, 2010
    California
    I use pine shavings and alfalfa depending on what i have around the farm but they both work just find for me. Not a fan of the paper towels sorry

8. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    I use puppy training pads. If I run out of them, I have used paper towels. I prefer the training pads because my brooders are in the house and pine shavings get to smelly. Plus if they get damp from spilled water, they are even more smelly and hold moisture. I change the training pad daily to keep the brooder clean. I do use pine shaving in the outside brooder when the chicks outgrow the inside brooder.

9. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I use wood pellets, I do usually put a paper towel under the feeder to scatter some food on for the first day, after that just the pellets. They stay a lot dryer then shavings.

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have used crushed walnut shells (finely crushed) had great results and now I use playsand like for a kid's sand box because it is much much less expensive and works great too!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by