Brooder Bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lnm03, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    How much of the pine bedding do I need to put into the bottom of my brooder?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I usually kept mine at a depth of 1 or 2 inches.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Me too!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Oh bummer, I'm the odd man (girl [​IMG]) out here... I usually keep mine 3 inches or a little deeper. My chicks have always loved to scratch in it and bathe in it and they seem to like the deeper bedding than when I used less.

5. chickeneer

chickeneer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    How do you keep the bedding dry? My chicks always get their water everywhere, and I end up changing the pine shavings every day.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] im sure you will find alot of helpful stuff on here.

Put there food and water on somthing so nothing gets in it but make sure they can still reach it.

A brick, peice of wood, I put a few coasters together !!! Make sure its stable so nothing falls !!!

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    My water is on a slightly raised shelf of hardwire over a wood frame. My shavings are about 3 inches. They do like to fluff down into deeper shaving, it's fun to watch.

I remove any matted damp bits and turn and replenish every day, taking out any food that's gotten into it and mixed with poo. Mine are a week old today and most have begun to figure out roosting on their brooder length pole.

They're fun, good luck.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    This is what I did with my waterer until I actually hung it.

[​IMG]

9. chickeneer

chickeneer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Thanks for the picture. That really helped me visualize how it could work better in my brooder. My 2 week old chicks are in a brooder with a mesh floor right now because I could not keep the shavings dry! I'm going to try adding some pine shavings, but keeping the waterer over a bare mesh area for draining the spills.

10. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    I have the temp in my brooder at 90* is that ok for day old chicks? I get them tomorrow!!! YAY

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by