1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder box layout

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamatink7, Apr 9, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm planning on using a plastic tote for the brooder. My husband is starting to be concerned about the safety. I'm not attaching light to the box at all (using the light stand from the Hatchery) but he's still not sure.
    Is this alright to use? It's a thinner, transparent tote.
    My new brooder issue is due to one set of chicks is coming earlier (yea!!) On the 27th and the 2nd set 16 may. This time frame is not long enough for first to be out into coop nor have both sets altogether in the brooder.
    Any suggestions on how to set them up in same brooder, not letting them be altogether??
    I appreciate any help and I hope I posted this right.

2. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    After I am done cleaning I will post.
    [​IMG]

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Have you looked into this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Far safer than a heat lamp, and the chicks thrive having a place to duck under, warm up, then run back out into the cooler air of the brooder. They also learn day/night cycles from the start - when it gets dark they go to sleep and they sleep all night through, just like we'll expect them to do in the coop when they are old enough. No peeping and eating all night long. In a regular brooder, the chicks will run around until they drop from sheer exhaustion, only to have some flockmates come along and either stomp on them or start pecking at them. Then guess what - tired or not the sleepers are awake again and heading for the food.

Oh, and by the way, lots of us skip the brooder part completely and start our chicks outside from the get go. I do, and I'm thrilled. I'll never brood chicks in the house again. And I never have to worry about transitioning them to the outside or integration with my older birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

[​IMG]
    It was in the teens and twenties the week this video was taken.

4. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Wow!! I never knew you could start them out in the coop. With this way, dont you still have to split the newbies from the 2.5 week older ones? Thank you so much for your links, videos and response.

5. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Thank you. Looking forward to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by