Brooder Box Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hangin'witthepeeps, Sep 3, 2009.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I have searched and saw a lot of brooder plans and examples. I have a question. I would like the hardware cloth in the bottom and droppings tray. BUT how old do they need to be before I put them on wire floor. Will their toes get stuck? Will the poo really fall through? I getting 25 Rainbow mix standard chickens from MPC.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Have have a wooden brooder box that I designed so a 30x30" droppings tray I bought at TSC would slide out from the bottom. The birds are on wire and I haven't experienced any problems. If you wanted you could put a layer of newspaper on the wire for the first week.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I raised mine on 1/2" hardware cloth, sort of. Most of the poop falls through but not all. I never had any problems with their feet getting stuck, but I did have one that was about a week old get its "knee" stuck in the wire and had to be helped loose. I'm hoping I never have to brood chicks again but if I do, I'd raise them on wire, sort of, again.

I say sort of because they were not 100% on wire. It is important for them to have access to some of their day or two old poop to eat. It helps them develop immunities. I left the poop on the 2x4's that were supporting the wire and put a piece of cardboard on a portion of the floor so they could get the poop they needed.

4. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I raise all mine on 1/2 x 1/2 wire and they do fine. I put them on wire at day one and don't seem to have any troubles. I think they still get exposed to enough poo on the wire to build thier immune system.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If you use 1/4th hole wire they can go on it from day one an most of the poop will fall threw. Standard sized birds can live on 1 by 1 square rabbit wire after there a few days old. You could go with a 1/2 inch wire an do good.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I built my brooder box with 3 sides and hinged top. I pushed it up against the wall for the 4th side and used pine shavings on th bottom. I could easily clean it out bu sliding it away from the wall.

7. hangin'witthepeeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I like the idea of a removable side. I think now I will put in a tray shelf with shavings. Just pick up chicks remove tray, dump and put back and replace shavings. I love it!!!! Thanks guys you all are so much help. Anybody got one like this with pictures or advice?

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
  9. hangin'witthepeeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Opa, this is great. Some of the pictures are not there anymore. How did you set up your light with adjustable heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by