Brooder Box too Crowded?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ekagj, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    So I have 17 9 week old chicks. This week it has gotten to the early teens are night, but its been in the 20s for the most part at night. I have 4 roosters and 3 hens that do not have their back feathers and I'm thinking maybe its just to crowded in the brood box? I have 2 other babies only about 6 weeks (they are fully feathered so I'm pretty sure they will be going out sooner rather than later) and I was going to put them in with my hens after I move my others outside. The problem is I don't want to move the fully feathered ones out without the 4 no back feathered roosters, because I was reading that is you separate the roosters for to long then reintroduce them their could be problems? I have 7 roosters (when they get bigger probably 5 of them will be become dinner so not i'm not keeping them all) and I don't want the other 4 to get introduced and have problems??? I'm pretty sure they are low on the pecking order since they are the without feathers and all the others have feathers...any ways the question i have is has anyone had this problem or separated their roosters with no problems?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It would help to know how big your brooder box is [​IMG]

My other thought is are you still giving them heat? I wouldn't give heat at all during the day and minimal during the night. An overabundance of heat will keep birds from feathering out well.

3. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I know forsure the box is too small..its the biggest container I have. Its one of those round livestock water troughs. Its BIG but I was looking today and so are the chicks now! They have no light other than the light on the ceiling. I'm thinking maybe its pecking order?? The ones without back feathers/tail feathers are low on the list?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think at this young age you'll be fine to put the feathered birds out and leave the less feathered ones in. Your roosters are young enough they don't really know they're roosters, know what I mean? They'll feather out soon and you can move them out. It doesn't matter if it's "pecking order", it's easily preventable by giving them more space. That many birds of that age/size need a lot more room. Move the ones that are ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by