Brooder Box

Sportsman94

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
Central Georgia
I recently repurposed a shop table to be a brooder box. I lifted it off the ground and put it on wheels to be able to easily be moved around. I’ve still got to build a top, which will likely be a frame with chicken wire. I also plan to run another 2x4 across the top so I can hang a feeder/waterer/heat lamp. This is my first brooder for chicks coming the week of 9/22. What else are must haves in a brooder? Anything I need to change?
C4E08DC6-B946-4B39-B95A-08AD4A4CF166.jpeg

How many chicks are you getting?
We are getting 23 total. A batch of 10 cornish cross for meat, 5 straight run welsummers, 5 straight run dominiques, and 3 easter egger females. I know this wont hold all of them for very long so I will move the cornish x to an xl dog kennel when this space becomes too small for all of them

I was planning to go with fine pine shavings and put paper towels on top for the first week or so.

You want coarse-flake shavings, not fine flakes.

They're more likely to eat the fine flakes.

I turned the box they came in into a huddle box to give them a cozy spot and gave them a training perch pretty much as soon as I picked up the paper towels.

1628288800653.png

1628288904424.png

We are getting 23 total. A batch of 10 cornish cross for meat, 5 straight run welsummers, 5 straight run dominiques, and 3 easter egger females. I know this wont hold all of them for very long so I will move the cornish x to an xl dog kennel when this space becomes too small for all of them

Yes, this brooder is great! Like Tre3hugger said, paint or cover the floor because it will become ruined with poop and messes!
Have you picked a bedding?

I was planning to go with fine pine shavings and put paper towels on top for the first week or so. Solely based on convenience of getting pine shavings, but I am open to other options. I do have a pretty well endless supply of aged, course wood chips from a tree chipping service, but have not read about anyone using those in a brooder.
I think hemp would also be a good option. I used it for my hatch. You can cover with paper towels for a couple weeks... Personally, I didn't, but I probably will in the future considering how messy they were the first week.
More info about hemp in my article: Hemp Bedding- Why is it the best?
Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom