Brooder Build

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Finished the 2 new brooders for the hatch room, they turned out pretty well! One is taller than the other in case I need a lower temp from the lamp, more space to change the height of the bulb.

I used a heavy duty garage shelf, 2'dx4'w, scored it on clearance for $20. The upright supports were 2 pieces, for the option of height. Originally I was going to stack them, until I realized I needed the table space for the hatchers.

1"x8" bedding retainer around the whole base. I wired the front and sides but used heavy plastic for the back.

I had thought I was being smart in saving wire cutting time by using a single piece from side to front, that wasn't the case though. Turning the corner got frustrating so on the 2nd one I cut it for a better fit and less bowing.

I powered through the build since I only had one day off to do it, so no pics from the process.

The shelves are covered in a slick resin of some kind, so I covered them with the "grippy" shelf liner stuff. For cleaning I should be able to just roll it up. I start them on paper towels for the 1st 3-5 days and then switch to shavings.

br4.jpg

br3.jpg

Sweet Setup!!

How are lamp fixtures attached?
Are you using regular 150-250W heat bulbs there?
I suggest 100W red incandescent reptile lights,
with dimmer extension cords to control heat levels.
Might even be able to put dimmer cords on big heat bulbs, not sure tho.

How long are chicks in these brooders?

The shelves are covered in a slick resin of some kind
Powder coat paint, sprayed then goes into an oven to harden. Very durable but yes, too slick for chicks.

Turning the corner got frustrating so on the 2nd one I cut it for a better fit and less bowing.
Gotta bend the wire before installing, need a good large hard and flat surface, I use a straight 2x4 to bend against on concrete garage floor.
Still might be easier to cut pieces separately.

Finished the 2 new brooders for the hatch room, they turned out pretty well! One is taller than the other in case I need a lower temp from the lamp, more space to change the height of the bulb.

I used a heavy duty garage shelf, 2'dx4'w, scored it on clearance for $20. The upright supports were 2 pieces, for the option of height. Originally I was going to stack them, until I realized I needed the table space for the hatchers.

1"x8" bedding retainer around the whole base. I wired the front and sides but used heavy plastic for the back.

I had thought I was being smart in saving wire cutting time by using a single piece from side to front, that wasn't the case though. Turning the corner got frustrating so on the 2nd one I cut it for a better fit and less bowing.

I powered through the build since I only had one day off to do it, so no pics from the process.

The shelves are covered in a slick resin of some kind, so I covered them with the "grippy" shelf liner stuff. For cleaning I should be able to just roll it up. I start them on paper towels for the 1st 3-5 days and then switch to shavings.

View attachment 1616484

View attachment 1616482
Very nice... My brooder is similar but in 4 sections. I did put wire on the bottom with trays under the wire in which I put some pine shavings to catch the poop and the chicks feed and water stay pretty clean. I use 60 to 100 watt incandescent bulbs as the heat source. They are more towards one side of each compartment and the chicks can get their comfort zone. Since heat goes up I use the 100 watt bulbs in the bottom and the 60 watt in the top.
IMG_3499.JPG

What I wouldn't give for some 60w old school bulbs! They're getting so hard to find. I have some 125w bulbs I hoarded away and I refuse to use anything more than that, it just isn't needed indoors.

I expect to have chicks in these for two weeks tops, before they go out to the barn brooders or grow pens.

Tried bending the metal before installing, using a piece of lumber as the straight edge, but it didn't get the sharpness I was looking for. Cutting it was definitely easier.

I was using plastic totes as the week 1 brooders but that got old. Needed to expand anyways after getting a cabinet incubator.

Back
Top Bottom