Brooder BULLY, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

I just got three adorable, 6 week old Frizzle Cochin chickens yesterday (Monica, Rachel and Phoebe). The problem is that Rachel is aggressively and incessantly pecking at the other two girls. I put Rachel in a separate brooder adjacent to her friends (I use the word "friend" loosely and with no pun intended. hee hee). She clearly wants to get back into their box and I feel horrible about separating her, but she is causing Phoebe to hide UNDER Monica in a corner behind the waterer, shaking.

I'd like to keep them all together, are there any solutions to curtailing her pecking? Is it ill-advised to keep them segregated and Rachel alone? Will keeping her segregated create future problems?
    Some sage advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If you want to keep them together most information I have come across suggest using a red light to minimize pecking. Some pecking does occur but as long a there are no missing feathers or blood then it might just be the pecking order is being established.

3. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Happy Ending:
    I have had my girlz under a red heat lamp since they arrived and Rachel pecked mercilessly at Phoebe, who hid under Monica for protection. It was pitiful. I ended up joining two cardboard boxes together and cutting windows in the adjoining sides of both boxes. Then I stapled window screening to the windows so the girlz could still see each other (I was afraid Rachel would get lonely and suffer other, unknown consequences from her time in segregation). I kept them separated for about a week and then put them back together (by removing the screening) and NO MORE PECKING! They now have a huge duplex and are living happily ever after. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to place screening on top of Rachel's box because she flew OVER the top of the box and into her Friends' box...TWICE!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. crazy_4_chickens

crazy_4_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Alberta
    Thats good that every thing is starting to work out now!! [​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    For the record: I'm betting Rachel turns out to be a Roo!

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    UPDATE: All three Frizzles are now fast friends after about a week of solitary confinement with viewing privileges. [​IMG]

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

8. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i love the names lol freinds that was mines name until they looked the same

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG] I'm having too much fun with every aspect of this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by