Brooder - Can't get temp past 85

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllChookUp, Jun 23, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I just built a brooder for the 11 chicks I am getting this afternoon. Thanks to some emergency traveling I had to do all last week, I wasn't able to build and temperature-test the brooder until yesterday. The brooder is 3 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 4 feet deep. I have screens on the top, and I can lay boards over it to retain heat, if needed.

I have a heat lamp with a 125-watt bulb hanging pretty low, and the new thermometer shows a max of 85 degrees. I know this is probably too cool for 3-day-old chicks. What wattage should I use? I think the heat lamp says it'll handle a 250-watt bulb at the most.

The temps around here are going to be in the low 80's during the day.

I hate that I finished up the coop the day before I get the chicks, but it is what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    A 125 W bulb should be about 1 foot above the brooder floor. If it is lower then tat i would get a bigger bulb.

3. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    brooster - Yes, it's right about at 1 foot above the pine shavings and paper towels on the floor. I don't want it any closer. When I pick up the chicks this afternoon, I'll check into getting another bulb.

Thanks!

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Lowes has a 125 W Brooder Bulb, it even has baby chicks on it. It give off more heat than the 250, it is efficient, if you have a lowes i would check it out. It is a sylvania brand and about $4

5. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    The Bummer is, we don't have a Lowe's near us - Only Home Depot and Menard's. Thanks for the info, though. $4 sounds like a good price.

6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Just get the 250 then. Is your thermometer right? Never know [​IMG]

7. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I tried two themometers, both new - Same temp. I think it must be right.

8. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I used a Heat Lamp bulb 250.

Is your bulb a heat or regular bulb?

9. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Dilly - It's a heat lamp bulb, but since the brooder is larger, I think I need to go with a 250W. Thanks!

10. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    You are welcome and good luck. What breed of chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by