Brooder/chick troubles?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Goldenpheasantlover, May 3, 2008.

1. Goldenpheasantlover

Goldenpheasantlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    England
    My chicks have hatched today and im not sure when to put them in a brooder, it is 1 chick amongst 4 other pipped eggs and its trying to stand but it keeps knocking the eggs around, do i put him in the brooder when hes dryed or now when hes still damp and if he has water now

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Leave him/her in there until the hatch is completed. Chicks survive off the remains of the yolk for several days without harm. That is what allows day olds to be mailed out. Rolling the eggs around will hurt nothing. If the others have pipped move them all to the brooder when they have all dried out.

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Its so amazing, just when I'm going to ask the "same" question, there it is on the BYC board. Wonderful. God Bless you all!

4. Goldenpheasantlover

Apr 29, 2008
    England
    thnx 4 the help, really needed, if one chick hatches does it encourage the rest to hatch

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Actually, I think it does! I had one hatch yesterday, then another one pipped, and he just couldn't wait to get out. [​IMG]

6. Goldenpheasantlover

Apr 29, 2008
    England
    iv got 2 that have pipped as well as my chick but they dont seem to be doing anything, they wobble a lot and 1 i think poked its beak out but nothing else, i suppose all i can do is wait, how long on average does it take for a chick to get out of and egg fully

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by