1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RonC, May 6, 2016.

1. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I'm constructing an outdoor brooder for my chicks It's an old workbench I've had sitting for years in my storage shed I have an idea of what I want but am having trouble finding the parts necessary I have a dog to keep other predators away but although the dog doesn't seem too interested in the chicks she has killed one of my adult chickens before It needs to keep a dog out and not chicks in! I would like to find some edging, preferably metal instead of plastic to surround the opening and reinforce the door. Or any other ideas out there to build the door. Also a latch and hinge and way to mount it to the hardware cloth. This is what I have so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I decided to frame the door with 2x3 lumber rather than take a chance on something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by