1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Equipment - How much for 45 chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CritterHill, Mar 13, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I'm sure this is covered somewhere but a quick search didn't turn it up and I left my chick care book at home - leaving here in a few minutes going straight to the feed store.

I am getting 45 chicks (30 of them will be leaving after a week or two, but I guess I have to plan the initial 2 weeks in the brooder for 45 chicks).

How many feeders? How many waterers? How many heat lamps?

I am using my daughters' hard plastic kiddie pool for the brooder. We plan to make a wire cover over the top so that the cats can't get in (or the chicks out).

I think I know the rest, pine shavings, papertowels (or something else with traction) initially, small roost after a while.

Just need to know how many feeders, waterers and heat lamps I should need for 45 chicks for the first 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, we will only have 15 chicks in the brooder.

Thanks!

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    For every 25 chicks you need 1 waterer, 1 feeder, and a heat lamp. For 45 just double it. Besure they can get away from the heat if needed.

That info is for the feeders and waterers that fit on the tops of quart jars.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Perfect, thanks. You guys are awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by