1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Brooder for 2 different shipments

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJChicken, Jul 2, 2010.

1. NJChicken

NJChicken Chirping

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey
    Hi,

Our first chicks arrive next week![​IMG]
    First group of chicks (6) we are picking up from Moyer's/Pa (Reds: hybrid cross between a White Rock egg-layer type female and a Rhode Island Red male) on Tuesday and the second group (4) arrives via mail the following week from Ohio (Buf Orpington).

Questions:

1. Since they are arriving a week apart, Any issue with mixing these in the same brooder or do I need to separate brooders??
    2. Also, since we are suppose to decrease the temp by 5 degrees/week. Do I need two separate brooders for the two batches until we achieve similar ambient temperature needs??

Thanks

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Noop. Put 'em in the same brooder. A week's difference in age is nothing. And for the temps, well, I have NEVER used a thermometer. I guage the temp for them by their behavior and raise or lower the heat lamp accordingly. When checking the temps out of curiosity, I've discovered all my chicks tend to be happier about five degrees less than the recommended temperature for their age.

So, you could split the difference in temps, if you are a thermometer user. [​IMG]

3. NJChicken

NJChicken Chirping

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: