1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder for 6 weeks, then out into the cop? Does that sound right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nonny, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've placed my order for day old chicks to arrive in a few weeks, complete with a rental brooder package that apparently comes with all they need for the first 6 weeks. The package description states
    "Package includes brooder box for a 6 week period after which time, the chicks can go into an outside coop permanently.".

I have three pullets already who will be in their new bigger coop, and I planned to put the little ones in the old (small) once they were out of the brooder, but I have no idea if that's right, or if they can go straight in with the big girls? Or do they need to stay separate until they are much older? If so, how much older?

Is there an ideal/preferred way to do this? It's my first time with new chicks, so I don't want to make any mistakes.​

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    What is the weather like there? At about three weeks I start putting my chicks outside during the day time in the summer. Once they are mostly feathered they go outside permanently in the grow-out pen/coop. If it's chilly at night, I will put a lamp out for them for heat.

3. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The brooder will be inside our house, and we're heading into summer so the temp indoors will go as low as perhaps 20 - 25C (68-77F) overnight, and up to 38C (100F) during the day.

At night outdoors it would be about 5 degrees cooler (we don't have aircon), and during the day the indoor and outdoor temp is about the same.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I got my first 6 weeks old chicks from a breeder who had them in a brooder, took them home and put them straight outside. They handled it perfectly.

With the weather in aus lately just make sure they stay dry, or are at least dry a roosting time. Heat shouldn't be an issue especially where you are!! LOL
    I have 2 week old chicks at the moment and the other day it was 33degrees and they didn't go under their mum all day, so it must have been plenty warm for them.

Don't put the newbies with the 'big girls' until they are roughly the same size (normally when they reach POL or older), that way they can stick up for themselves better. I have successfully introduced two times at this size/age.

I like to keep the new birds where the big girls can see them, feed them their treats on either side of the wire as if they are feeding together (also positive reinforcement for being near each other). Then when they are old/big enough I let them all out to free range together. This allows them plenty of space to sort out their differences. When I've done this the new girls also followed the older ones back into the coop to sleep even though they were still being picked on. I just made sure I was up early to let everyone out again before any squabbles! After a few days they'll have it sorted and you can relax [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    100 degrees F is almost too hot even for day olds, yet around 70 at night is too cool for the first few weeks, so they will need to have their heat monitored and adjusted according to outside temps. Or, if they have enough space to move toward or away from heat, they can monitor and adjust it themselves. If you can rig heat in the old coop they might do best in there from the beginning, so they can move toward or away from the heat source as needed. By 4 weeks in your climate I would imagine they will be fine outdoors with no heat source.

6. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you! [​IMG]

The brooder has it's own heat source, and the room they will bein has a lot of windows, blinds and screens so I can drop or raise the temp in there quite easily by letting in the breeze or closing out the sun. [​IMG]

The two coops will be within sight of each other, and I'll be able to throw treats down while teh big girls are freeranging and the young 'uns are in the enclosed run so they will have that wire fence between them.

I can't wait! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by