Brooder for chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PurpleChicken1, Mar 6, 2016.

1. PurpleChicken1

PurpleChicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    I have 4 babies arriving on Wednesday! I have a large storage box, non adhesive anti slip mat, bedding, water, food and a heat source! Is there any else that I need!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like you have everything. I will usually get everything ready, heat lamp adjusted so I just need to plug it in. I put my shavings down to let them air out, than I put paper towels down for the first week, when they arrive I dip each ones beak in the water which I've added a teaspoon of brown sugar to a quart of water to get them some quick energy. I also use some glass stones, mine are blue, I put them in the water drinking part to keep chicks from falling in and drowning and to draw them in with the shine. I also scatter feed on the paper towels and put some more glass stones where I put their feed. After the first week I remove the stones and stop adding sugar to the water, I also remove the paper towels.

3. PurpleChicken1

Aug 2, 2014
    Thank you! If I am getting 4 1 week old chicks, a 3sft brooder would be big enough for the first 4 weeks right?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It should be, but if it's warm enough I would get them outside for some time on clean dry grass. I use a piece of 3x10 foot piece of hardware cloth to form a circle to put mine out in, and a bucket on it's side to make a little warming hut. Otherwise just getting them out of the brooder for some mental and physical stimulation goes a long way to keeping them healthy and happy.

5. PurpleChicken1

Aug 2, 2014
    Thank you so much! I am so nervous and excited!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Since you have time, stop by the feed store and pick up a bottle of Poultry Nutri-drench. In case of shipping stress, failure to thrive, and even just wanting to give them a boost of intense nutrition to launch them on a healthy life, it would be a terrific thing to have when they arrive.

You can make a "tea" using their water and they will benefit from it even it they exhibit no problems.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's like Christmas for us adults, I get pretty excited waiting too.

8. PurpleChicken1

Aug 2, 2014

Perfect thank you!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a pretty small space....make sure they can get away from the heat to regulate their temperature.

Here's my notes on chick heat, hope something in there might help:
    They need to be pretty warm(~85-90F on the brooder floor right under the lamp and 10-20 degrees cooler at the other end of brooder) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker acclimation to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder. I do think it's a good idea to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to check the temps, especially when new at brooding, later I still use it but more out of curiosity than need.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
    If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
    If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
    If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.

Or you could go with a heat plate, commercially made or DIY: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

1 person likes this.
  10. PurpleChicken1

Aug 2, 2014
    Amazing! Thanks! I have got a thermometer, I actually went and bought a box 2 times the size of the other one so the lil fluffies can run around! Thank u so much for your help! I'm soooooooooo excited!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by