Brooder heat alternatives.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BobMcDuff, Mar 10, 2015.

1. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    Was wondering if there might be anything else to use for heating a brooder other than a heat lamp? I've seen the Eco-glow and was wondering if anyone knows exactly how it works. In particular, is it just a warm pad? I have two small heating pads for dogs/cats that i think get to around 105 degrees, was wondering if anyone has tested a way to use something like that as opposed to using a light. Just trying to use what i have laying around IF I dont have to buy anything. Thinking maybe just cover one with litter and prop the other off the ground a few inches, I'll see how well it can hold temps. Any input would be appreciated. If i have to get a lamp then so be it,

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
  3. BobMcDuff

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    I just started reading through that one, only difference is I can't control the temp, and mine are more hard plates then flexible mats, but thinking if I could still close off at sides it might work

4. BobMcDuff

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
  5. jneail

jneail New Egg

Feb 2, 2011
  6. BobMcDuff

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    If the pads are supposed to be around 100 I think that should suffice without a rheostat. A broody doesn't change her temp, chicks just spend less time correct? I'm thinking I'll drape a towel or something off the sides and a little over the front just to help hold the warmth and just make a way to support the top piece that can be raised over time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by