Brooder heat help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Feeneychickie, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Feeneychickie

Feeneychickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    Indianapolis Indiana
    My chicks are 8 days old today ... I originally had 2 lamps, one 150w ceramic and a 250 w red heat bulb. I got scared about the many hazards with the 250w bulbs and it's freaking me out. House fire is not on my list. So, I am now only using the 150w lamp, and they are huddled around it. This usually means they are cold, but I'm scared to go back to a higher bulb. I put a portable radiator in the basement to warm it up a bit. My thermometer is currently reading 80 degrees. Are they going to be ok at this temp??
    Thanks guys!!!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are they complaining? How big is your brooder? How many chicks? How deep is their bedding? If they are venturing away from the heat lamp to eat, drink and run around and play, they should be fine. If they stay huddled under the lamp and are pig piling and complaining, then you have a problem. What is the temp of your basement? A nice deep layer of bedding for them to snuggle in will help.

And finally, have you looked at brooding your chicks with a heating pad? Much less fire risk, much more natural for the chicks. You can find blooie's article about it in my signature.

3. Feeneychickie

Apr 19, 2017
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I have 9 chicks... and even when I walk down to greet them and they are under the lamp they immediately come to me and then eat/drink play and seem happy.
    House is prob 73 but I have that space heater next to them in the basement.
    Bedding isn't super deep, but I will add more. I am looking into a heating pad that doesn't have auto shut off

4. Feeneychickie

Apr 19, 2017
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I just put the heat lamp back in. Ugh. They are super happy again, and I am super nervous. I just bought a heating pad on Amazon and as soon as that thing lands on my doorstep the lamp is gone

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Have you read up on how to make a frame for it???

6. Feeneychickie

Apr 19, 2017
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Reading up now. Thank you:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by