1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder heat source options

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So, my chicks are coming in about 6 weeks. I have 26 coming (a few ducklings thrown in there too), and that's twice the amount I've ever raised before. LOVE my brooder, but it will not be big enough to comfortably house them for more than the first week, maybe two. I have plans to construct a larger brooder before the chicks come. So, I am looking at heat options as well. I always just used a heat lamp. Sure, no issues. Except that I always worry about safety....fire safety....and I was nervous then. Now, I will be working 5 hours a day, so I'm sure I'll be worrying even more...while I am at work.

I've been looking into the Eco-glow (I'm sure I would need the 50...PRICEY! And I'm reading that the room temp should be above a certain level?), and the sweeter heater (also pricey, and mixed reviews), and I am looking into the ceramic heaters, like this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...1389324693&sr=8-2&keywords=ceramic+heat+bulbs

I would buy whatever would work best....IF I planned to raise chicks more often than I do. I'm averaging about every 4 years now. So really, spending that kind of money doesn't seem like it would be worth the investment to me. So I am now looking into those ceramic heaters like I posted above, and would love to hear from people who use them. I brood my chicks in my garage, which is unheated, but insulated, and in our below 9 degree weather, maintains a temp of around 40. Of course, it won't be this cold, or shouldn't be, when the chicks come.

So....these lizard heaters.....can anyone help me make up my mind?
    Thank you!
    Angie

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have gone with reclaimed cabinets for my brooders and lay pens

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Heat lamp will work just as good, as Flockwatcher said.

5. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks. Well, I read the Eco-glow won't work in a place below 50 anyway. So not worth it to me. I picked up a new heat lamp today....with a ceramic socket..as my old one is plastic.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

Best of luck to you and your chicks!

Yes, I've seen that Eco Glow and I guess it's an impressive gadget -- if you brood indoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by