Brooder heating/size

Discussion in 'Quail' started by A1987, Apr 10, 2011.

1. A1987

A1987 New Egg

Apr 9, 2011
    Couple questions on setting up a brooder for up to 20 coturnix quail. How large should the footprint be and how deep should the box be, given it will be covered? If a bulb is used, what wattage should it be? How do I calculate required wattage when it comes to enclosure size? I'm assuming it makes a difference that the brooder will be set up indoors with a minimum room temperature of 68-70.

Also curious on heating elements. I've been reading about electric hens, but no source that doesn't include ridiculous shipping to US (if the company even ships here at all), and I've read about building your own with a heating pad mounted on an adjustable base. I'd be interested in doing this but worry about messing it up as I've never raised chicks before. I've also read about ceramic bulbs vs light-emitting bulbs. I really don't mind paying an extra 20 bucks or whatever on a bulb since I'm not raising birds on a large scale by any means. Opinions and recommendations would be great..
    Thanks!

2. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    The box should be large enough to create a temperature gradient. Warmer on one side, and cooler on the other. The depth of the box doesn't matter if its going to be covered. The wattage doesn't really matter either because you can just hang the light and raise and lower it to adjust the tempurature.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    +1, I use the 90 and 105 qt sterilite totes with the light and hardware cloth Aprophet describes. Drop the bulb wattage as time goes on. 2 totes will work for 20 coturnix for about 3 to 4 weeks. Gets real tight at the end. Pine chips need to changed at least 1 a day, more toward the end, you'll know!!! Bill

5. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    It should be about 1 sqare foot per bird right...?

6. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Not needed for a brooder. I have 28 Butlers in a 105 qt tote now that hatched friday\\sat. I will leave them inthere for a week or so, then split them in to two brooders of that size. They will stay there till there about 3 weeks old and then go to a wire, heated pen. I do coturnix the same way basicly.... The 1 sq ft per bird rule is not in stone and intended more for adult, breeder type pens. I would venture to guess most grow out pens are less, some MUCH less, than 1 sq ft per bird. Especially when talking corturnix. Bill

7. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

if you want to make sure that the birds can't peck the bulb in the heat reflector, wire a round cake rack onto the reflector so they can't reach the bulb.

8. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I think you may have misunderstood the brooder plan.... check out my Buler bobs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by