Brooder height

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Preparing a brooder wondering if I will need a cover? I will probably have to keep them in the house until fully feathered as it will be cold here when they go out, 50* day time highs and 20-30* lows.. so I am making a large brooder out of cardboard, the height is about 24" is this tall enough that they wont fly out or do I need a cover?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've seen two week old chicks fly three feet horizontal and two feet vertical to get to a perch. They could easily have gone a lot further.

They will want to perch on the top of the sides. I'd put a cover.

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ok thank you [​IMG]

4. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Quote:Ditto. Piece of hardware cloth works nicely. Light and easy to move when you need to get in there. Just be sure to bend the cut points back around or duck tape them.

5. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    We will do the hardware cloth, thank you!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd suggest making the sides either shorter or taller and making a lid. The one I borrowed had 24" sides and it was a difficult height for using a heat lamp because hanging outside, the light is a bit too high and inside it's too low. 18-20" would have been better IMO.

7. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have an eCoGlow brooder, so I am hoping I wont have the headache of monitoring temperatures....I plan on showing them the eColGlow first off and hoping them will huddle to it as needed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by