brooder help needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick rookie, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I am getting chicks the last of Dec. this mth. and I got the ideal of using my dogs wade pool for the brooder from BYC coops and brooders, but it didn't show or say how to attach the chicken wire so they wouldn't jump out as they got older, if it did I missed it. was wondering if any one had any ideals?
    Also I have a heat question. I will be keeping them in our basement, its cold down there, not freezing but it seldom gets above 36 with 1 heat lamp will that be too cold? I really don't have any place to keep them this year. Maybe use 2 lamps?? What do ya think?

2. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    ok I feel like a real DORK [​IMG] . My hubby looked at the artical about that pool brooder and seen that the fence was siting on the floor. so that question is answered... lol. I still what to know about the heat please

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    The only way to tell is to set it up with one lamp and put a thermometer that records HI/low temperatures reached on the floor under it and see what happens. Do this for several really cold days, before you get the chicks. I don't know how many chicks you are getting, for the first couple of days 2 might be better so they don't get too far from the lamp & not make it back. For the first week it should be 95F directly under the lamp.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    If the brooder has lots of room so the chicks can get away from the heat lamp, then set one no less than 6 inches from them, and no more than 15 inches. Then that one should be plenty, because it will be close enough to heat up the air all around it. Just make sure they have a way to escape the heat, in case they get too warm. Don't worry about the bedding material too much. At six inches away, it should be safe. It will probably FEEL hot to the touch, but won't catch fire or melt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  5. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    thanks for the distance info I was going to go a foot

6. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    o now it gives me the multi quote... lol oh well sorry bout that

Duh now why didn't I think about that. I'm slow I guess... [​IMG] thanks going to go do that right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by