brooder help. real quick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Ok, Here are a few pics. They seem to be going outside of the light. Does this look right?

I am using a 60 watt bulb at the moment. Should I go to 40?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT...

Ok, now they are cuddling under the bulb. My daughter pulled one out of the food jar so took the hood off.

2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    can you put a little thermometer in there to get a better idea of how warm it is? it doesn't actually look like they have much space to get away from the heat if it's too much, and i can't tell from the photo how high up the lightbulb is. thermometer would be the easiest way to figure it out [​IMG]

3. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    I have one off to the side of the tub. about head level.

4. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Its reading right about 90. Now they seem to be all over, however, they are sleeping a lot. Is this normal around day1?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You need to raise the temp to about 95-97 degrees for hatchlings. 90 might be too cold for them yet. However yes, they are going to sleep a lot the first few days and the next week following. They will need less and less sleep as they grow.

Oh, and that brooder is going to get too small real quick. So you might want find something else to brood them in in the next week or so. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Ok, I will go back to the 75 w bulb.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Throw The Thermometer Out... You Have The Cheepest (pun Intended) And Most Accurate Thermometer You'll Ever Need Right There In The Brooder! Look At Your Chicks... See Them All Sprawled Out All Over The Warm End Of The Brooder? That Means Your Temp Is Fine [​IMG] If It Were Too Hot They'd All Be On The Other End. If It Were Too Cold They'd All Be Awake And Piling Up Under The Warmest Spot From Your Light--- Your's Are Fine! And Yes They Will Sleep Much Of The 1st 3 Days Or So, Much Like A Newborn Child Only These Guys Grow 1000 Times Faster. Unless You Notice A Change In Their Behavior Your Brooder Set Up Looks Fine

8. CDEDBDwings

CDEDBDwings Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:I agree. I just adjusted the height of the bulb/hood if they were too hot. If they huddle under the light they are too cold, if they are as far from it as possible, they are too hot. And listen to them; a whole lot of cheeping usually means they are too cold (for mine anyway). They were completely quiet after I heated up the brooder a bit more. They are babies- sleep a lot, cry when they want something... I have found if they have company, they are usually quiet unless they need something. Keep in mind I'm not a pro, this is only my experience with my first group of quail.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yep... Constant Screaming Means Somethin's Wrong... Either The Light Bulb Blew Out, The Water Dish Is Empty Or Has Leaked All Over The Brooder Or The Feed Dish Is Empty... There Could Be Other Causes As Well, But The Point Is "somethin's Wrong" They'll Let You Know If You Just Listen And Observe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by