Brooder help! thanks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksmith, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I have 4 chicks and got them last Saturday, so they should be around 1 week and a half old. They were in a large rubbermaid tub, but started to try to fly around. Now I have moved them into a converted rabbit hutch. It is huge! I have bedding on the floor, and the sides are mesh. The heat lamp is in the center and it is about 95 degrees directly under the lamp. I also put their food and water under/ near the lamp. I am afraid that they will get too cold! what do you think? Will they be smart enough to stay under/near the heat lamp? what do you suggest? thank you![​IMG]

2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    The first thing is to know that 1.5 week old chicks are going to need about 85-90 degrees and this will decrease by 5 degrees per week til around six weeks old when they are fully feathered (most breeds). It sounds like they have room enough to escape the heat if it gets too strong by moving to a cooler area in the brooder. I would find an area midway between the lamp and brooder walls to move the water at least, so it doesn't get too hot. Birds prefer cold water, as we do. Other than that, I believe you have described a fine setup for you and the chicks! So... when are you gonna upload pics? We really prefer evidence!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, it's a little too warm in there. One thing lots of people do is put the heat at one end so they have a bit cooler area to go if they want. I really think we overheat them a lot more often than the other way.

4. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    It is about 95 degrees directly under the lamp, and they have plenty of room to move as far away from the lamp as possible [​IMG]. I will try to get pictures up soon!

5. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Here is the brooder. I have duck tape around the top hatch because the edges are sharp and cut my arm! Ouch! But I am really liking my brooder, and am going to add 2 ducklings soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chicks are a little over a week old here. There are 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 RIR, and 1Buff Orpington. I love them! [​IMG]

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Looks great, and plenty of space for comfort. Let us know how they do.

7. cadobbertien

cadobbertien Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Nice set up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by