Brooder Help?

savannahRoos22

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
Hi! I'm sorry, im sure this has been answered on another thread. But specifically I have made a nice looking Tub brooder with incredible ventilation. As it has cut out sides with small wired mesh and the lid of the storage tub as well. I have a 120 watt red light bulb. And I think thats too hot! Is there a way to change the color of a lower watt normal bulb? I was thinking about painting it black or red with acrylic? What wattage for brooder thats light that is around 15 inches above the chicks?

Red is not necessary. Generally a red bulb is recommended under crowded conditions. I have always used a white bulb without problems. Pecking problems come from not enlarging their space as they grow. Generally at 2 weeks intervals chicks are ready for bigger and busier stuff.

You can raise the heat lamp, or get a lower watt bulb. Check the reptile section in the pet store; they have 75w red bulbs too. Don't paint the bulb! Safety first!
How old are your chicks, how many, and brooder dimensions? The lamp should be at one end of the brooder, so the rest of the space is cooler. Mary

If you think it's to hot, raise the bulb or put a lower watt bulb in, so you don't fry your chicks. Can you post a pic of your brooder?

Its a very huge storage tub with layers of towel and then papertissues and then a bit of straw. Water has marbles in it.

Red is not necessary. Generally a red bulb is recommended under crowded conditions. I have always used a white bulb without problems. Pecking problems come from not enlarging their space as they grow. Generally at 2 weeks intervals chicks are ready for bigger and busier stuff.
Oh thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom