Brooder Hopping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tommysgirl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I am brooding 30 chicks plus a hatch (setting 16 eggs) beginning the end of next month. For the first weeks inside I have three big brooders. After they move out I have two enormous ones. Will it be problematic to take chicks that started out all together and blend them with different chicks when I make the move...should I do it at night or will it be no big deal. All the chicks will be roughly the same age give or take a day or so. Hatch date for purchased chicks in 4/24. Hatch date for the others will have that date in their window.

Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they are the same size and age, they still will prefer their specific brooder mates. These are all they know. But integration is much easier when everyone is the same size. Why not do a inter-team trade of a chick or two and see how they do? If it works well, mix some more. That kind of thing. If it goes well, mix two or three from each brooder and see how that goes. Might be an interesting pre-mix test just to see how things would go?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks that's a great Idea! What I was thinking was a straight across big brooder to enormous brooder swap and then splitting the third brooder between the two. That way everyone still would have someone they know and are connected to.

For lack of a better term, do you think that supervised "play dates" during the first couple of weeks would ease the transition?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Fred's Hens

Sure. Husbandry is about trying things, judging the results, observation and self correction. Eyes wide open and there's no limit to things we can discover and learn.

5. Fred's Hens

Let me tell you a story. I transport birds a few times a year. I've taken birds that were not flock mates and would have squabbled something fierce if I had put one into the other's pen. Yet? If I place a few "strangers" into the travel box? Close quarters in there, dark for the 12 hours of the trip, when they are released at the other end? You guessed it! Tight buddies. It seems like foxhole buddies overcomes the normal flock dynamics. [​IMG]

6. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks so much. That makes total sense!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by