Brooder idea for 11 birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by turtlemh, Aug 20, 2016.

1. turtlemh

turtlemh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2016
    I have 11 birds 8 chicks 3 Guineas. I called some stores for large boxes and they weren't helpful at all. Was thinking about going the kiddie pool route. Any ideas?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Kiddie pool is fine for to start with a few days at best. They will quickly out grow the pool sides. I would keep checking at the store for a big box. Find out when their deliveries are and stop by on the store on that day you might be able to get boxes before they break them down. You can try a large dog crate but they can be a bit pricey. When are the chicken coming?

3. turtlemh

Jul 18, 2016
    I already have the chicks. They are around 1.5 weeks old. I was going to put cardboard around the sides and do a top of some kind. I have a large dog crate but it's not much bigger then what I have them in now.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you have a coop and run? Are there adult chickens already living in it? If not, why not brood right there in the coop? There would be plenty of room, and the chicks would not need to go through the transition from brooder to coop later on.

Even if you have adult chickens, brooding in a safe pen in the run is a great alternative to a cramped, stuffy, confining brooder box. Chicks brooded outdoors with plenty of room and under natural temperatures have many advantages over brooder-raised chicks. I've brooded three batches of chicks in my run under the heating pad system, and they did splendidly.

Read my article on outdoor brooding linked below my post.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. turtlemh

Jul 18, 2016
    I don't have the coop set up yet. Just painted the floor yesterday. It also would be too cold for them as they are not fully featherd and there is no electricity in the coop. I will maybe try the watermelon thing. So far none of these stores have been helpful and just look at you like your crazy.

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I got my corrals at Aldi's.
    Best,
    Karen

8. turtlemh

Jul 18, 2016
    My Ed made me this temporarily. I called BJs and the guy was really nice. Said he might have a watermelon container by Tuesday and took my name and phone number. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Clever Ed. Never seen anything like it. Very creative!
    Best,
    Karen

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have chickens for very long, you get used to being looked at that way. try any tool store: Sears, Harbor Freight. Put several boxes together. Really, brooding outdoors is the best and easiest. However, not everybody is organized and has the coop ready before the chicks. I understand how life can happen and get in the way of the best of intentions. While it's not the best option for electricity, I keep an industrial extension cord between house and coop year round. I would not be able to keep chickens in the winter without electricity to keep the water thawed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by