Brooder idea, will this work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boyswillbeboys, Feb 27, 2014.

1. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    So I have started thinking about brooder box ideas now that I have a flock of grown chickens, I plan on getting a batch of heritage breed chicks, and broilers in a couple months (may probably, once it's warmed a bit here) the heritage breeds are going to cost me $125 for 25 chicks, so I definitely want to protect them. They don't hatch heritage breeds at the same time as the hybrids, so I'll arrange for my broilers in the next regular hatch so they will be a few days younger. I have an existing flock of 22 hens and a rooster.

I brooded my current flock last may/June in the coop, with just a board in front, but I know that won't work so well this time, I was thinking of having DH build me a frame with 1" chicken wire on the top and front, tall enough for the water jug and full sized feeder, with a hinged lid for access, I'll be able to hang the lamp from the ceiling same as before. The wire will allow all the chickens to be used to each other when the chicks start to out grow the brooder and need to stretch their wings. I would be able to let the chicks out while the older chickens were outside during the day.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Above 4 weeks they should have a minimum of 2 sq ft per bird. Not quite sure what you're picturing here. Are you going to do this indoors or outdoors? Do you plan to mix the new ones with the existing flock at 5 weeks or so?

3. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I was planning on doing this in our existing coop, so I guess I would need to be able to expand it, the first batch got run of the coop around 5 weeks, and were allowed outside by 8 weeks, supervised.

If I were to open it up at 5 weeks, but keep the opening small enough the full grown birds wouldn't be able to get in, they would still have it for protection. I'll have to take some more time to think about this. I'd make it the size of the second brooder the first batch had (about 1/3 of the coop, floor space wise)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by