Brooder Ideas and Pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickHick134, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ChickHick134

ChickHick134 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    So I am getting a few Welsh Harlequin ducklings in a few weeks but want to be fully prepared for when they arrive. Please post some pictures of your brooders! Should I use pine chips or newspapers? Also if you have any ideas on how to keep water from spilling everywhere (I heard can be a problem) then please do share :)

2. brokenhobble

brokenhobble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    its 2 parts with a door that can b opened and closed, you could put your water in the 2 area without the heat lamp like in my picture where I have the big black tub, then if water spilled o well and when they go to where the heat lamp is and where the water and feed is there should be a lot less water spill issue in there, I use shavings, never tried news paper. hope this helps.. good luck!

3. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome pics! This looks like a great set up!! Thanks for sharing!!

4. ChickHick134

ChickHick134 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    It looks wonderful and very safe from anything such as cats ( I have 6 ). I've heard pine shavings are better but they always make a mess for me. Thank you for the idea!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I only use softwood shavings, newspaper is slippery. Um, my main go to is an old rabbit/guinea pig cage..

[​IMG]

I like the design because the top is grating/wire so good air flow, but it's not drafty(closed sides) and cat cannot stick their paws in(i have 3 indoor ones myself) i actually have two sizes of them lol often end up using both too... i just suspend the heat lamp. It's all in my house, so i have plenty of ways to safely set this up.

I do have a wooden brooder we made from a ship crate which is also good.. not sure if i have a pic..

A popular choice for ducks is a wading pool and troughs(this one i am considering myself)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by