1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder in bedroom ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisa_anne, May 13, 2011.

1. lisa_anne

lisa_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I didn't think to ask this before, but our brooder is in our bedroom. I clean it out completely every two days and there are 5 little ones in it. Can you get sick from sleeping in close quarters with chickens? This might be a completely stupid question, so sorry if it is. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Our brooder is in the living room. After 8 week of this, we are having a little bit of allergy trouble, but it's also spring.

3. SheDragon

SheDragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Mine are in the Master Bathroom and I wonder after your post, Kemclaughlin, if it's Springtime or Chicktime that's causing my sinus issues!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Baby chicks create an amazing amount of dust. It will only get worse (MUCH worse) as they get a little older, so I would find them an outside (or even temporary) basement home soon.

5. lisa_anne

Jun 24, 2009
    Yeah so far the dust hasn't been too bad, but I can see how, as they start flapping and divebombing more, how that is going to get much worse. So I don't have some deadly chicken disease yet, but for my own sanity they need to move soon. We are picking up the dog house that is being turned into their coop, in the morning. We need to mod it and build the run yet, though.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The very, very fine white dust from feather dander and bedding can really aggravate allergies. It's also really hard to clean up, it gets into everything.

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Sorry to sound like a bad guy, but.....IMHO, chickens don't belong in your house after a couple weeks unless it's terrible weather outside, or other exteme circumstances. And even then, I can't imagine keeping them in my bedroom. If it must be done, they're somewhere that is visited the very least by a human body.
    (8 week old chickens in the house? YIKES!!!)

8. SheDragon

SheDragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Ok, in my case it was the chickens that came before the coop and that was my delema. Now it's weather proofing the coop so it will last and have to *gasp* get it OVER the fence! Oye... so the chickens are still in me bathroom! LOL

9. lisa_anne

Jun 24, 2009
    Oh, I agree. They aren't even 2 weeks yet and will be outside very soon as the temps are getting consistently above 70. I could move them into the bathroom I guess. Like I said, there are only 5 of them so it isn't like I have 25 chickens in my bedroom [​IMG]

10. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    My chicks did three weeks in my garage when they came home... EVERYTHING WAS COVERED IN CHICKEN DUST! I do have the incubator in my room, but nothing open air like that... Had a touch o sinus problems just from spending time in the garage with them, I don't want to know what that would have caused had they been in my house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by