Brooder in garage with our cars

I'm planning on getting my first group of chicks in a week or two, and the idea was that I'd keep the brooder in the garage with the heat lamp. I've read up a ton about how to set up the brooder and the chicks needs, including that they should be protected from drafts and fumes. My garage is a tight two car garage, and both my husband and I park our cars in there. The brooder box is solid to encourage protection from drafts, and we always open our garage door before starting our cars. My question is, in these cold winter months, is the garage door opening and closing too much of a draft or stress on the chicks? Thanks for your help!
I keep mine in the garage. No problems. My garage is heated though but always set to 40 degrees F to keep my water lines from freezing only. Heat lamps have always been sufficient.
I don't park my cars in the garage. Its essentially my workshop wear i do a lot of wood working. I do keep kawn and garden machines in there and start them or perform maintenance tadks on them inside with door open. Chicks are fine.

We kept ours in our garage in the past but we don't have running cars in the garage and leave the door open for long periods of time for a car to warm up. Id say if you do it in there open the door and move the cars outside and close the door back. That way the car is warming up outside and doesn't risk the chicks.

I'd make sure you park nose in and keep the chicks that way to avoid any of the exhaust blasting the chicks.

I now have ours set up in our laundry room which works pretty well.

sorry my reply was assuming you were going to incubate them, didn't read you were getting ready hatched chicks already.
So if you can keep the cars out, great, only for a couple of weeks, gararge is great. And coop will need to be ready in no time too.

No, our coop isn't built yet. We have a solid plan and location for our coop, and we'll be getting started on building it soon.

Personal experience (and experience from many, many others on here)... build the coop first. Trust me. It's never ready when you need it if you build it after.

Brooding them in the coop would be easiest for sure - minimizes clean up, no need to transition or acclimate them to outdoors, natural light, etc.

Back
Top Bottom