Brooder infected: mysterious disease has taken 4 guinea keets, one chick, and is killing two ducklin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clucksworth12, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Clucksworth12

Clucksworth12 Chirping

Apr 25, 2017
    Gordo, Alabama
    Hello! I would like to say first off that any help or advice is appreciated. I have been raising chickens for the better part of a decade, but this has never happened to me! It started with the keets, then the chicks, then the ducklings (still alive right now). Here are the symptoms:

They are fine, eating one minute playing, with the ducks they were actually outside grazing. Then they start simply flopping, as if they have no control of their legs. The seem to lose the nerves in their legs. I feed the chicks medicated chick starter, the keets game bird starter, and the ducks, ducklings starter with greens. I was too late for the keets and chick, but I islolated the ducklings, gave them fresh bedding, food, and water. Any advice for further steps and precautions? And does it sound like Mareks disease to any one?

2. Windus

Windus Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Kansas City, MO
    When I bought ducks, the lady I bought them from told me to never feed medicated chick starter to ducks, she said it was lethal to them.

3. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    My understanding is that Amprolium is not toxic to waterfowl. That's the coccidostat in most medicated feed. One brand I feed uses a sulpha drug though so it's possible to use a medicated feed that's not duck safe. I haven't actually researched that drug though.

Did you check the mill date on the feed? I'd be looking at what they are eating. Hope someone has some better ideas for you.

4. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Sorry they aren't all eating the same feed. Needed to read that again. Best wishes for a solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: